What Is A Static Website?
In Static Website, each page is coded in HTML (Hyper-Text Markup Language) and displays the same information to every visitor means it has fixed content.
Static sites are the most basic type of website and are the easiest to create. Unlike dynamic websites, they do not require any Web programming or database design.
A static site can be built by simply creating a few HTML pages and publishing/uploading them to a Web server. Since static Web pages contain fixed code, the content of each page does not change unless it is manually updated by the designer/developer.
This works well for small websites, but it can make large sites with hundreds or thousands of pages difficult to maintain. Therefore, larger websites typically use dynamic pages, which can be updated by simply modifying a database record.
Static sites that contain a lot of pages are often designed using templates. This makes it possible to update several pages at once, and also helps provide a consistent layout throughout the site. Static Web pages display the exact same information whenever anyone visits it. Static Web pages do not have to be simple plain text.
They can feature detailed multimedia design and even videos. However, every visitor to that page will be greeted by the exact same text, multimedia design or video every time he visits the page until you alter that page’s source code.
Static web pages are suitable for the contents that never or rarely need to be updated. Static website is the basic type of website that is easy to create.
You don’t need web programming and database design to create a static website. The codes are fixed for each page so the information contained in the page does not change and it looks like a printed page.
Advantages Of A Static Website
- Fast loading speed compared to dynamic websites.
- Fewer or no dependencies on systems such as databases or other application servers.
- Quick to develop – we can develop a webpage in very short time.
- Cheap to develop – require less resources so its cost is less.
- Cheap to host – no database required so web hosting cost is less.
- Static websites are economical to develop and it is the best solution for business that runs out of money.
- Static websites are simple in structure and helps to transfer in short amount of time from server to client with less processing time.
- Static websites facilitates with version control which helps to store the work and able to recall whenever needed.
Disadvantages Of A Static Website
- Dynamic functionality has to be added separately.
- Requires web development expertise to update site.
- Site not much useful for the user.
- We have to change content manually.
What Is A Dynamic Website?
Dynamic sites on the other hand can be more expensive to develop initially, but the advantages are numerous.
At a basic level, a dynamic website can give the website owner the ability to simply update and add new content to the site. For example, news and events could be posted to the site through a simple browser interface.
Dynamic features of a site are only limited by imagination. Some examples of dynamic website features could be: content management system, e-commerce system, bulletin / discussion boards, intranet or extranet facilities, ability for clients or users to upload documents, ability for administrators or users to create content or add information to a site (dynamic publishing).
Dynamic Web pages are capable of producing different content for different visitors from the same source code file. The website can display different content based on what operating system or browser the visitor is using, whether she is using a PC or a mobile device, or even the source that referred the visitor.
A dynamic Web page is not necessarily better than a static Web page. The two simply serve different purposes. Dynamic website is a collection of dynamic web pages whose content changes dynamically. It accesses content from a database or Content Management System (CMS). Therefore, when you alter or update the content of the database, the content of the website is also altered or updated.
Dynamic website uses client-side scripting or server-side scripting, or both to generate dynamic content. Client side scripting generates content at the client computer on the basis of user input.
The web browser downloads the web page from the server and processes the code within the page to render information to the user.In server side scripting, the software runs on the server and processing is completed in the server then plain pages are sent to the user.
Use Of Dynamic Website
Dynamic pages can serve a variety of purposes. For example, websites run by content management systems allow a single source code file to load the content of many different possible pages.
Content creators use a gateway page to submit the material for new pages into the CMS’ database. The dynamic page can then load the material for any page in the database, based on parameters in the URL with which a visitor requests the page. Dynamic pages are also what let users log into websites to see personalized content.
Advantages Of Dynamic Websites
- Much more functional website
- Much easier to update
- New content brings people back to the site and helps in the search engines
- Can work as a system to allow staff or users to collaborate
- Dynamic designs are integrated with high-end programming that enable in making changes easily.
- It has a neat and well organized .
- These designs are easier to maintain even though they are loaded with information and graphics.
- These designs are extremely useful for E-commerce (selling products online) sites and shopping portals as they provide easy navigation through a number of pages. Thus this enhances the user experience.
- With an advanced graphics, they lend an attractive look for the website.
- Dynamic websites provide good presentation of contents, designs, and tabs that gives a much sophisticated and professional look to a website.
Disadvantages Of Dynamic Websites
- Slower / more expensive to develop
- Hosting costs a little more
Difference Between Static Website And Dynamic Website.
- We can upgrade Dynamic websites easily. Static websites is difficult to upgrade
- Shows fix content and theme for all users. Website designs and content can be changed on runtime
- With the help of markup language static websites loads quickly whereas dynamic websites delays to load because of more processing time.
- Static website provides information to their clients like an organization website. Dynamic website is where content changes frequently. Like a Electronic-commerce site etc.
- Static website directly run on browser and does not require other internet application language. This website can be created from HTML and CSS .Dynamic website run the application on server and the result will be display on webpage. So this requires server application language like PHP, JSP etc.
- Static websites are easy to develop and a experienced person can develop it. But Dynamic websites require qualify developers to create it, manage it, test it and maintain security of application and database.
- In Static website if you want to change the page content then you has to upload that page on server many times. Dynamic sites provide some facilities that it possible to change the page content using server application. There is no need to upload the page on server
Many sites from the last decade are static, but more and more people are realizing the advantages of having a dynamic website. Dynamic websites can make the most of your site and either use it as a tool or create a professional, interesting experience for your visitors.This article aimed to tackle some of the questions faced by website owners. If you’d like to comment on this article or have any questions, please contact us.